XQL-project status report

As of this week there has been no additional activity of note on my
XQL for Ozone project.

The current status of XQL is as follows:

The W3C has established an official
working group for an "XML query language".  The members of
this group are "experts in the field" and are required to sign
a non-disclosure agreement regarding the proceedings of the
working group.  This means that the group is now proceeding
behind "closed doors", out of view.

Several members of the working group are in Germany.

The working group has had several meetings in the last few weeks, but
due to the non-disclosure agreement, none of the discourse
or any of the internal mail can be disclosed to non-members.
(I am not a member)

The last communication from a group member to the XQL mailing
list (which is one of only 2 publicly available forums for debate
on XQL that I know of) indicated that they were working on formulation
of
a query algebra as a formal basis for  an XML query language.

This,  IMHO is a *very* good thing considering the lack of such in
the original XQL document and the practical implementation
consequences of same.

I doubt that we will hear much from the group until they reach a
consensus and draft working documents for public review.

I continue to monitor all the available information on a regular basis
and continue to research and learn more about XML in general with
the prospects of producing an XML query language implementation
for Ozone when a proposal has come forth from the working group.

/**
BTW, you missed a fabulous launch party for IBM Developer Works
last night in San Francisco at the new Sony Metreon Amusement
Center.  They had an entertainment troop do a parody of "old-time-
religion" with the theme of Open source and empowering true-believers.
Among the key points for IBM's "new religion" is XML+Java.

I suggested, in-person, to the
Developer Works team that they should give us open-source reference
implementations of XML utilities including XPath and XQL.
(This would make my job *alot* easier!)  Developer Works responded
favorably to the idea.

*/

Best Wishes,

Ann Tecklenburg