Re: magic-sets

"magic-sets"  is a way of transforming
queries into more efficient forms.  It is
a key optimization technology.  It is rather
new.

I have only very abstracted algorithm
descriptions of it at the moment:  too abstracted
for me to figure out how to implement it, at present.

By far the easiest way to do the transformation is in
Prolog.  Why:  because the transformation
is pure logic and because XPath is based
on Datalog.  A magic set transformation
will eliminate unproductive sub-queries
(mostly).

I have a very nice prolog<->
java compiler that can do the transformations
automatically, once I get a useable
prolog re-write program.

I program in Prolog just fine:
I just don't understand
the notation these technical papers
are using.

If you want to take a hack
at it I will send you the best document I
have on the subject.  It should
be a relatively self-contained project
to implement.  You don't have to do
it in Prolog:  it would be even better if
you could figure out how to implement
"magic" in Java.

As slow as Java processing is, every
CPU cycle counts.