ozone/XML and OQL (was: Re: *URGENT* -- Call for support)

Well, again, sorry for late response ;)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Erwin Selg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I also have a look at ozone for some time. It is interesting to see a well
> designed OO-Database including XML capabilities.
> Right now I'm not sure about the following features:
> 1. Does ozone store a xml-document as single document or parsed in objects?
parsed objects

> In second version
> it would also be possible to access the elements of an xml file to OO API.
yes, true. this is what we call the persistent DOM.

> 2. Is it necessary to load the entire document to search it using X-Path?
no.

> 3. Is it possible to do a XPath-Search through a collection of documents,
> i.e. more
> instances of a DTD or even different DTDs?
not automatically. we decided to include only the basic features of an XML
database in ozone and let Prowler (http://infozone-group.org) do the nifty
things like searching over multiple documents

> 4. Is it possible to update single elements in a document without loading
> the entire document?
yes

> Is it done using XUpdate? Where to find more information about XUpdate?
XUpdate (http://www.xmldb.org) is the prefered way but you may also directly
manipulate the DOM nodes.

> 5. Where to find more information about ozone/xml ?
javadoc of API (org.ozonedb.xml.util), the samples, and http://ozone-db.org
contains some doc

> 6. Does ozone support the OQL language or would we have to use the methods
> of the Java collection
> framework?
ozone does not OQL. currently you have to use pure Java (collections) for
searching.

The S.O.D.A. approach of Carl is very interesting. its a descriptive query
system without the disadvantages of a parsed language. I would really like to
see this in ozone but need help with this.

> 7. Is there a mechanism for light collections so we fetch only objects
> really needed from the database?
collections normally contain proxies. the target objects are activated just if
you actually call them.

> I'm quite interested in the project, and because we are some developers
> here, if we decide to go
> deeper in this technology, maybe we can also provide some help.
>
> In every case you don't should give up believe in this great project!!
:)