Re: Fwd: XML Server

Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:

> It's amazing.

I'm not expert in databases, but I observing XML Databases field long time - about
half year :)

> > 2. XPath query engine (URL + Java interfaces)
>
> I'm not sure about placing URL interfaces into the core,
> but for sure there should be a library parsing the query
> and executing it ( XSLT on top of DOM ? )
>
> > 3. server-side XSLT processor
>
> Yes. We are thinking to mix it with (2) but maybe it's
> reasonable not to mix.

Example:

Cleint sends query to server with next semantic:
1. Excute this XPath query on document books.xml
2. Apply XSLT stylesheet books.xsl on the result of (1)

from URL interface:

http://localhost/ozone-xml?doc=books.xml&query=//book[@name='Avesta']&stylesheet=books.xsl

of course u need to use URL escaping ...

and something similiar in Java

> > 4. Java server extensions (stored procedures) invokable from URL or remote Java
> > API
>
> Yes. We are thinking to mix it with (2) but maybe it's
> reasonable not to mix.
>
> > 5. per Node triggers (node removed / inserted / updated)
>
> Yes. We are thinking to mix it with (2) but maybe it's
> reasonable not to mix.
>
> > 6. SAX-based Client/Server API
>
> Maybe XML-RPC could work.

I don't know XML-RPC, but I assume it working with XML serialized in text,
But we have already parsed query results ...

> > 7. XML Update language

> Yes. We are thinking to mix it with (2) but maybe it's
> reasonable not to mix.

No, this is very important,
There is still no standard on XML document updating,
look at eXcelon XML Update language ...

> > 8. Set of RDBMS to XML conversion utilities, like Oracle XML SQL / Cocoon's SQL
> > Processor utilities
>
> It's not a core, I think.

right, that the reason I wrote "utilities"

> Could you please provide your feedback on XSLT-SQL thread  from
> the XML-server dream Archive? ( http://www.egroups.com/group/xml-server )

I read about 20 first messages from there,
but I really don't like eGroups (I'm on the modem connection), and I only now
subscribed to your list, is it possible to forward to me all messages, which posted
until now ?

> It appears that we were thinking about most of functionality you are
> describing.  We just mixed it all into  part of the project which is
> called XSLT-SQL 'language'.

don't like the name, sorry :)
What about to join Ozone-XML effort ?
Ozone already have some infrastructure: PDOM, BLOBs, Ann working on XPath query
engine,
we could easily add DOM-based XSLT processor, and
and methods in Ozone's database objects is equivalent of Stored Procedures (right
Falko ?).

Next step will be:

1. PDOM optimization - clustering ?
2. XML Update language (look at ODI's proprietary Update language)
2. adding HTTP/URL/Servlet interface
3. XML-RPC or SAX interface (for C/S)
4. triggers
anything else ?

One suggestion:
download and evaluate ODI's eXcelon - I think they pioneers in this field,
they already have version 2.0, then we will be able to built light open source
version of it using Ozone.

Best regards
Zvi