Re: client of ozone idea

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Ok, if I use ozone as my game server, how do I do the
> following:
>
> 1. How do I know - in my game server code which is now just
> objects inside ozone, when a user drops a connection?  I
> know ozone knows and closes the connection but how do
> I update the race objects as being "logged off"  Would
> putting code in the final method do this?  If a user has a
> proxy object in the client does it call some finalization
> code if they disconnect?
No, proxy and impl don't have any information about each other. There is no
direct "connection" between them. The Impl does not need to know and cannot
know the number of corresponding proxies. So no special "disconnect" method is
called.

No again, putting code in the finalize() method is not the way to get access to
the state of the object in the database. In fact ozone tries to hide exactly
this information from the programmer.

I suggest to make a logOff() method on the server object. This can be
explicitely called from the client when it is going down.

> 2.  What is your best recommendation for security?
What security are we talking about? Server authentication, security of the
tranmission, other?

> Yes, when I get a little farther , like I actually have a
> game that plays, you may list it.  But it is a few monthes
> away I fear.  If you want to you can say I am building it.
> I WILL complete it.  This has been a dream of mine for 10
> years.  I have started it several times in different
> languages and shapes.  I started it in Perl, C, C++ and now
> Java.  It will get done:)  It is based on Galactic Bloodshed
> which has been on the net for over 10 years.  It is old
> technology and I am the doctor:)
It will use ozone. So it may be interesting for other users to know that it is
there, the main goals, and how it uses ozone. That's all what I had in mind.

Thanks,